Thursday 21 May 2009

Elba

As some of you may know I have recently began to become interested in basketball. As some of you may know, this is somewhat out of character for me, what with me being a dyspraxic idiot who harbours a natural resentment towards the fit and the beautiful. Well, that was the old Gordon. My trips to the matches began as an excuse to spend time with a particular someone, but they soon grew into a genuine interest in the team's development and the fan psychology. Elba (the name of the Timisoara team) fans are the best kind; loud, invetive and more supportive than any team could possibly wish for. Some of their chants include:
"We're Timisoara and we're better than you."
"Your mother is a penguin" (because it rhymes)
"Fuck you [insert name of opposing player]"
"You're from [insert name of opposing team], you're poor and everyone should know."
They have drums, improvised chants and there's dancing afoot.
Elba have reached the finals of the championship and are playing the best team in Romania, Asesoft from Praest (sp?). The players walked out from the dressing room carrying a banner that thanked all the fans for their support and brought a tear to many an eye.
While Elba are a great team last night they narrowly lost out. What amazed me however was the reaction of the fans who didn't seem to care they their team had lost, you'd barely know anything bad had happened. The players were understandably distraught. The captain of the team was particularly upset and cried slightly. The players left the hall to the deafening chants of "You're our champions anyway" and the fans at the barrier bowing to the players. It was the most heartbreakingly lovely thing I've seen in years. The fans are there to support the team and Timisoara because they are genuinely proud of them, not just because they love sport or basketball or competition. The players love their sport but they love their fans as much, you get the feeling that while they're playing to win they're also playing to make their fans happy and proud. One by one the players came out with their young children and the crowd waved and cheered for them. The team left the court again to the sound of a thousand fans singing "Suntem mândri de tine". We're proud of you.

I apologise for not blogging very much recently. While my adventures at the beginning of the trip were group affairs I felt ok about telling the world about them. Now most of my time is spent with a few individuals and I feel there'd be something voyeuristic about writing about everything we do. I've had an amazing time though. I've seen philharmonic orchestras in forests, rap metal concerts in rose gardens, gospel choirs in orthodox cathedrals; I've lived a lifetime in a few months. While I'll be poor, confused and exhausted when I get home I wouldn't change a single second.
To those who don't already know, Dave and I will be home very soon. I'll be coming to a doorstep near you. And to answer your next question; yes. You can buy me a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment