Saturday 21 March 2009

Eating seeds as a passtime activity.

Dave and I have successfully immersed ourselves in the Romanian art scene with little or no effort on our parts. We are simply artistic people; where ever we go, art follows.
Well, it helps that two of our good friends are art students here...
Anyway.
Last night we went to an exhibition at the French Institute. We were promised pastries and wine and by jove we got some. Free food aside, the art itself was pretty rotten. Upstairs consisted of umbrellas painted with children's poetry and downstairs held some sort of obscure wire and plastic bag contraption that didn't look entirely unlike a very postmodern circus tent. All in all, not fantastic.
While we were there we heard of another exhibition going on in the city; this time a Scottish 'sculptor' in the trendy part of town. Onwards! We shouted, as we thought that a Scotsman in Romania would put on a pretty good spread.
As it turns out, as is most frequent in this country, we were somewhat surprised by what we found. Instead of a sculpture in the traditional sense we found a man in a white room, dressed completely in black, complete with hood, standing in an all pervasive silence carrying some branches with litter stuck in them. Art, as it were, was happening around us.
After a few minutes of looking at him, expecting him to tell a joke or give us a riddle or something, we went to the pub. Art is good, but let's not take the piss.

Today not much has happened. I do love the Romanian attitude towards money though. Today in one of our small local shops instead of the 30bani change I was supposed to get, I got a stick of gum and a smile. I love that, it's so...casual. I was quite chuffed with my haul.
I also made an excellent tuna salad. I'll post the recipie if anyone is interested. I think tonight we're going back to the shanty house after forsaking it for a few weeks. Our new pub has a darts machine and we're all quite taken with it.
Well, best be off. Fareyewell my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment