Friday 13 March 2009

We've been in Romania for over a month now and finally life seems to be becoming something resembling normal. We've accepted Romania and all its quirks, we've stopped being shocked when faced with things out of our comfort zone.
We haven't been out for a few days. We have reading to do, livers to repair, Twitter to refresh etc. I hope something happens soon. Complacency leads to boredom, boredom leads to idle hands and idle hands are prone to being put to work by the Devil.
Tomorrow should lead to some interesting events, however. We're heading up the mountains for a weekend with our French comrades to explore the wilderness and do a bit of hiking. Seeing as though everyone who reads this knows me to some extent you can imagine my terror when the word 'hiking' was put out there.
I walk. I like walking.
I don't run. I don't like running.
I don't hike. I don't like the possibility of falling off the thing i'm walking on. But being the navigator and trend setter that I am I shall tackle it with the ferocity and enthusiasm in which I approach all my endeavours.

Well, Dave and I overcame another hurdle today. We got our hair cut with absolutely no disasters and done completely in Romanian. Over a coffee we consulted a dictionary for the words "not" "short" and "tidy". Therefore by walking in and saying "Nu scoarte, ordinat" we were able to get our hair trimmed to reasonable lengths again. Damn it felt good.
So anyway, as I was saying. We shall tackle to hiking head on. We bought our supplies today:
Two packets of tic tacs
Pringles
Cheese (for sandwiches)
Ham (see cheese)
Bread
Two bottles of wine.

Regular readers of the blog may remember my packing for a trip to Resita and think "Hey Gordon, that looks like some pretty darn sensible packing you've done there!" and you'd be right. I learn from my mistakes. In Romania you get busy learnin' or you get busy dyin'.
We have both discovered Twitter as well. If anyone uses Twitter our usernames are otagodave and sheerdrop, please get in touch. Right now I'm only following celebrities and my friend Monica and Stephen Fry keeps pushing people off the bottom of my list.
Romania may be bad for my health, but it has inspired me to get back into the habit of writing. I'm going to set up another blog in conjunction with this one to put my personal writing so as to keep this one solely for Romania banter. If anyone is interested in reading my "stuff" you can see it on www.bebo.com/ethanoldreams and all the pictures Dave and I have taken so far are on there too.
[/shameless self plug]
So long for now, I'm off to Twitter-stalk people and listen to Múm.
And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment