Saturday 7 March 2009

Up close and personal Eastern European student parties

Today I awoke with a strange feeling of resignation. It's the same feeling of resignation that I wake up with every day, but each one is special in its own unique way. I felt that if I tried to sit up I would rip my skeleton out of my body and leave a Gordon shaped puddle of disaster on the bed.
Yes, I went to a party last night.
This was the first proper Romanian party I've seen since I got here. It was in a student hall sort of affair, somewhat like a student union except a huge building without any adverts for Pepsi or heinous paninis that nobody ever buys.
Before I got there, however, I saw a few interesting things while I was waiting for Silvia and Victor. Dave was feeling a bit under the weather so I decided to leave him to recover. I was standing at an intersection where most of the traffic in Timisoara comes to argue. A rather nondescript car drove past without doing anything to warrant my attention. That was until the driver opened the door and vomited on the road. He was obviously in a hurry as he didn't see fit to stop the car to perform said vomiting. He is truly a modern hero; unwilling to let nonsense such as bodily functions get in the way of his postmodern lifestyle. Lock up your daughters.
The other rather interesting thing happened soon after that. Two black cars stopped at the traffic lights and the drivers jumped out their cars, swapped cars and then had some sort of slow motion drag race as soon as the lights turned green.
Drag racing is not big or clever, but if you're going to do it at least get decent cars. Otherwise you just look silly.

Now, onto the party. As I said it was in a student hall that students from all over the country are welcome in. Kind of like a YMCA but without the Christian overtones and sodomy. As Victor said, it smelled like a pub. It smelled like parties. It smelled like fantastic.
The building itself was enormous; it had a huge hallway and several staircases leading up to the main floor. As we climbed each floor we passed more and more clusters of people with cans of beer in hand.
We reached the cloakroom and deposited our jackets on a table. I was rooting through my pockets for my wallet when Victor said "You don't need any money, the beer is free here."
I stood aghast.
Everything after that is a bit of a blur to be honest. I know I spent a long time speaking to a DJ from Timisoara who told me many interesting things about the music industry here. I met a guy from a small town near here who shed some light on why we should definately not get sick in Romania. I met a very nice girl as well, although our conversation was stinted by my lack of any language beyond the one I've had beaten into me from an early age. All in all, nearly all the Romanians I've met so far have been lovely and patient people.
When I got home I tried my best not to wake Dave up, but I ruined it by kicking over everything in the room at least twice.
Right now it's 11:10 and I need to go and buy credit for my phone. I found that a good way to start every day is to watch my friend Louise's videos of her saying hello to the world in a new way every day for five days. If you like that sort of thing you should check it out, they're really nice and Louise is a great person. I'll post some links when I don't think I'll die if I blink.
So long and goodnight, for now. I'm going to go and brave the world in a daring and handsome move that shall be an affront to God himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment